Dental Implants Baltimore
For people who have lost adult teeth, they can experience feelings of embarrassment and be hesitant to smile. Along with the cosmetic issues of missing teeth, there are much more serious consequences including deterioration of the jawbone, problems eating and speaking, and issues with emotional and mental well-being. Missing teeth that make people unwilling to smile can make them seem unapproachable and can also have a detrimental effect on their social and professional lives. The good news is that with dental implants from Greater Baltimore Prosthodontics, patients can once again have a complete, healthy smile that restores confidence and has a positive effect on their quality of life.
Understanding Dental Implants
Traditional dental implants are a two-step process where the dentist first surgically implants a titanium rod into the jawbone that will hold the dental prosthesis when the initial surgery area heals. Dental prostheses that the dentist can attach include a single replacement tooth, dental bridge, or full or partial dentures. The titanium implant secures the dental prosthesis and replaces the missing tooth root and tooth, thus preventing jawbone resorption. Dental implants are a more natural alternative to traditional dentures or bridges because they function and look like natural teeth. After examining the patient’s available jawbone and discussing their preference and health, the dentist explains what the most viable dental implant option is for the individual.
What Are The Benefits of Dental Implants?
Whether a person has lost one tooth or all their teeth, dental implants are a viable, successful, and durable treatment option with benefits that are cosmetic, physical, and emotional. Replacing missing teeth with dental implants offers numerous benefits including:
- Prevents surrounding teeth from shifting
- Helps prevent gum disease
- Neighboring teeth retain natural function and shape
- Prevents premature wear on the surfaces of the teeth
- Titanium implant integration with jawbone prevents receding gums and bone loss
- No required alteration of neighboring teeth
- More secure than traditional dentures or bridges
- Enables normal speaking and chewing
Dental implants eliminate the worries of dentures slipping and becoming uncomfortable, or dental bridges requiring replacement. They can last a lifetime with proper care, dental exams, and care from Greater Baltimore Prosthodontics—and they give a healthy boost to self-confidence in people who have been embarrassed by the missing teeth in their smile.
How Has Innovation and Versatility of Dental Implants Evolved?
Dental implants are extremely versatile in their application and have improved greatly with today’s innovative dentistry. Their uses include:
- Replacing a single tooth or multiple teeth – A dental implant can replace a single missing tooth or several dental implants can replace additional missing teeth. For single tooth replacement applications, dentists use porcelain crowns as the dental prosthesis as they’re durable and natural looking.
- Anchoring dental bridges – By securing a dental bridge with dental implants, dentists eliminate the need for a patient to have a removable, partial denture.
- Supporting full dentures – Supporting full dentures with as little as four dental implants ensures a secure, comfortable fit that’s far superior to traditional, removable dentures.
Factors for Dental Implant Candidacy
Anyone considering dental implants for tooth replacement needs to start by contacting the dental professionals at Greater Baltimore Prosthodontics to schedule a consultation. A person’s preferences, tooth replacement needs, and physical health help the dentist decide the best course of action. Factors required for a viable dental implant candidate include:
- Proper overall health
- Adequate jawbone mass to support dental implants
- No current gum disease or signs of gum disease
People who meet all of the requirements for dental implants can start the procedure immediately, but those who require sufficient jawbone may have to undergo bone grafting and wait for that to heal before implant placement. Traditional dental implants require at least two appointments: one for placement of the titanium rods, and the second to place the crown.
What is the Procedure for Dental Implants?
The procedure for dental implants is similar whether the patient requires a single implant or several implants. The dentist administers a local anesthetic, makes a small incision in the gum, and then places the implant carefully in the jawbone. Patients need to wait around 3-6 months after the first appointment for the implant to integrate into the jawbone and the area to heal. After healing is complete, the dentist then places the prosthesis to complete the restoration. Patients then leave the dental office with a healthy, whole, beautiful smile that’s fully functional.
Ensuring Successful Dental Implants
Today’s dental implants have a very high success rate and can last a lifetime with great oral hygiene and regular dental visits for cleaning and exams. To ensure the success of dental implants, patients should avoid tobacco use as it undermines the body’s ability to heal and can lead to implant failure. Learn more about dental implants as an effective tooth replacement option by contacting Greater Baltimore Prosthodontics today.